Saturday 17 October 2015

A Walk in the Woods - Photographer Style!

I recently stumbled upon this Autumn Photography article, 6 tips for upping the 'wow' factor in your fall photos that suggested tips for the best autumn photos. So, I had the day off work and decided to give it a try! I am usually an 'automatic' girl, even after owning the same DSLR camera for so long I'm not even sure when I got it - maybe 8 years ago??? It just always took amazing pictured in the different auto modes that I never really even gave it a second thought to 'go manual'.... until last Friday!

So, with the day off of work, my camera, tripod and notes (yes, I wrote down some notes!)... I ventured off to the Dorchester Mill Pond - my favourite walking trail just a 12 minute drive away. It was a cloudy morning - even had a few drops of rain, but for the most part it held off until I was done playing with my camera!

I walked down a hidden path to the bottom of the damn and was able to use this "blur" tip to take these photos. Not bad for a first attempt using the manual settings. I just kept adjusting the F-Stops and Shutter Speed (I've never done that before!) to see what I liked. It was so nice to hear the water rushing down the damn and then trickle by as I 'played' with my camera and enjoyed some quite time. I did have some on-lookers wonder what the heck I was doing down there in the bush by the creek!
 F-Stop 22, Shutter Speed 1/4, ISO 100

 F-Stop 22, Shutter Speed 1/3, ISO 100


I then (after finding 6 burrs in my hair - maybe that's what the on-lookers were looking at!!) ventured back up the hill to the trail and took these pictures, focusing on texture and contrast.

 Texture -  the wood bridge
 F-Stop 3.5, Shutter Speed 1/12, ISO 100

Texture - leaves on the ground
 F-Stop 5, Shutter Speed 1/4, ISO 100

 Isolation
 F-Stop 5.6, Shutter Speed 1/4, ISO 100

 My final shots were taken from the bridge overlooking the pond, I didn't even see the geese in the photo until I was editing the pictures on the computer - great fall shot of the geese flying south and the turning of the leaves!
Weather - the birds flying south
Contrast - the just a couple orange/yellow trees among the green
 F-Stop 16, Shutter Speed 1/20, ISO 100

It began to rain, so home I went.... but look who decided to come with me!


So, now that the pictures were taken and the edited, it was time to put it all together in a 'story'... and scrapbook them! Here's the final results of my photography walk in the woods! Not too bad for a first day using the manual settings!

 Digital Kits used were: Brookside, Feathered Ferns Digital Stamps and Curbside Papers


Be sure to check out this article: Click Here
More tips on blur: Click Here


Click HERE to check out all the Digital Artwork Panstoria has to offer.
Click HERE to upgrade / order Photo Management Software: Historian
Click HERE to upgrade / order Digital Scrapbooking Software: Artisan
Click Here for Creative Memories Paper Scrapbooking Products

Please contact me in you have any questions, I'm happy to help!
Happy Scrapbooking!
Tammy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment